For a person interested in understanding investing with no prior training, it can be rather daunting. Questions on your mind is what is the stock market? How does it tie to the company? How do I earn a return? How to select stocks?
This live article will provide the resources for you as an equity investor or a dividend investor starts.
As an investor, you need certain primers to build up your knowledge on how everything interlinks.
Bill Ackman’s Everything you need to know about Investing & Finance in 1 hour
Bill Ackman is a hedge fund manager at Pershing Square Capital. If you want a 1 hour video on what is a corporation and how it ties to investing, this is the video to watch.
- How does a business work, generates profit, raise capital and monetize their business Raising money as a corporation
- Difference between debt and equity
- What is a balance sheet and what it shows
- What is the income statement and what it shows
- What is the cash flow statement and what it shows
- Evaluating Value: Earnings yield, Return of capital, Earnings Growth
- What an equity investor can get and what a debt investor can get
- What you need to know about different kind of debt
- What you need to know about different kind of equity
- Assessing Investment Risk
- How an owner take cash out of the business? Dividends, Selling, IPO
- Compare to other business
- Compounding and opportunity cost
- Why you need to think about making smart investment decisions
- Investment Risk
- How to avoid losing money
- What kind of business Bill Ackman would avoid
- Simple list of business you can start looking in
- When to invest
- The psychology of investing
- What is a mutual fund (unit trust)
- Criteria of a good money manager
After learning from the beginner’s guide to stock market investing, view some of my other best resources to build and form your investing knowledge [My best resources]
If you feel these are good resources for someone starting out, do share with your friends and let me know your thoughts!
- Singapore Savings Bonds SSB January 2024 Yield Plunges to 3.07% (SBJAN24 GX24010F) - December 1, 2023
- New 6-Month Singapore T-Bill Yield in Early-December 2023 Should be Slightly Higher at 3.85% (for the Singaporean Savers) - November 30, 2023
- Have the World or Emerging Market Healthcare Stocks Outperform the World and EM Index? - November 26, 2023