I had a blast watching this keynote as a geek. The next iteration of Google Android Operating System for Smartphone shows what an open platform can achieve compare to a relatively closed platform like iPhone.
This is the full length Keynote. Do watch it.
Now what you would notice most in the middle of the keynote at 15 mins to 35 mins (fast forward near to there) is that there are alot of functionalities that is so much better than the iPhone
- Android Intent pushinig a message from your web service to your phone (unlike iPhones push notification)
- Over the internet App Downloads compare to downloading to iTunes and syncing via cable
- Over the air auto update of Apps
- Streaming music from your desktop over the internet to your phone
- Buying music in the Android Desktop internet web store and gettting it over the internet
Here are what i think might happen:
- There will be more Android Smartphones in Singapore. They will form with iPhone to be dominate handset market.
- iPhone might follow Android’s lead here with over the internet sync and access to data.
- On the current 1mBPS handphone plan costing $36-$40 this will be rather slow. People who love these service may choose to move to a higher data speed plan. This will increase the ARPU for these range up by $5
- The increase in data usage will likely means added pressure on M1 , Singtel and Starhub’s network.
I cannot believe they got free smartphone at the keynote!