E-Bikes are great.
The idea of E-Bikes is great for folks like me who are working towards financial independence, where we watch our costs relative to how much we earn so that we can build wealth with the difference wisely.
E-Bikes has this advantage:
- You do not have to spend time acquiring a bike license
- They are rather inexpensive compared to the alternatives
- They give you the flexibility to go to nearby neighborhood well
So why am I so against E-Bikes?
Because there are a lot of irresponsible folks out there.
These E-Bikes go faster than normal bicycle, and with higher momentum it is more difficult to stop or switch direction without causing an accident.
Here is a case study of a medium range accident by E-Bikes.
The bigger worry is this:
We would like to think everyone know the rules and are responsible.
The reality is that most people do not care so much about the rules but rather how it works within their own framework.
I seen the speed of these bikes go on the road. They are fast.
And most of the time, these folks are not wearing helmets! (even though I wonder how much help the helmet does in alleviating injury but having it is better than not having!)
The danger is not only to themselves. You can say “its my f$%#ing life so I get to do what I want”.
However, you are also putting the ones in the cars and trucks at risk.
No one likes to see an accident, and if we look past the blame game, the vehicle owners will always be thinking if it is their fault or the other persons fault.
While I really think having such a bike helps me next time to keep cost down, I currently see them as a bigger problem then the benefits it brings to society.
What about you guys? Do you own one? Do you think this is not an issue at all?
- New 6-Month Singapore T-Bill Yield in Late-September 2023 Should Stick to 3.75% (for the Singaporean Savers) - September 21, 2023
- A Concentrated, High-Quality Fixed Income Financial Independence Income Strategy Has Enough Uncertainty - September 20, 2023
- Why Do We Save Money After We Reached Financial Independent Status? - September 18, 2023