I woke up this morning feeling very frustrated about something at work.
There is this functionality that is so simple, yet I can’t find a lot of service provider offering it.
So I am contemplating coding this myself.
It will also be good since I may eventually be able to own the intellectual property rights to this.
And that means Investment Moats readers may eventually be benefit from it if Kyith becomes resurgent as a coder.
However, that would mean that the writing stuff will have to go down.
So this is roughly what I need
I am thinking of developing firstly an offline application.
- This application is a series of standalone web-pages that are not host on a server
- I prefer not to install anything on a computer. It is OK to install something to develop the application
- Web-pages pulls the data from a flat file kind of database. Some of the prospective database that I can think of are CSV, JSON. I thought of SQLite but I cannot remember if I need the computer to install something to run SQLite
- One or two of the pages will need to be standard CRUD (create, result, update, delete)
- Data wise this is not heavy. You won’t have a lot of transactions a day. Probably one transaction a year.
- The main output will be reports that can be printed out.
- There will be a need for web charts
In terms of development stack, what would you recommend?
I came from a Java development background but frankly I have not developed much so the skill is at best passable. The last time though, I did develop an Android application and listed it for a while, so I would say it is still functional.
What I do understand is that the future seemed to be based on Python, but not sure if there is a stack that can give me something of a front-end, back-end and database all in an offline manner.
Open to Suggestions
I thought I could research this up, but if I have some developers, solution architects or students among my readers, this could help me narrow things down.
I probably want to keep this away from my day job first. Although I just got out of probation but I don’t think I want to be seen as doing something that seemingly might be lower in priority.
If you have some good suggestions you can email me at [email protected] or reach me at Telegram: @kyith. Or comment below!
Thanks in Advance!
I invested in a diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds (ETF) and stocks listed in the US, Hong Kong and London.
My preferred broker to trade and custodize my investments is Interactive Brokers. Interactive Brokers allow you to trade in the US, UK, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong and many other markets. Options as well. There are no minimum monthly charges, very low forex fees for currency exchange, very low commissions for various markets.
To find out more visit Interactive Brokers today.
Join the Investment Moats Telegram channel here. I will share the materials, research, investment data, deals that I come across that enable me to run Investment Moats.
Do Like Me on Facebook. I share some tidbits that are not on the blog post there often. You can also choose to subscribe to my content via the email below.
I break down my resources according to these topics:
- Building Your Wealth Foundation – If you know and apply these simple financial concepts, your long term wealth should be pretty well managed. Find out what they are
- Active Investing – For active stock investors. My deeper thoughts from my stock investing experience
- Learning about REITs – My Free “Course” on REIT Investing for Beginners and Seasoned Investors
- Dividend Stock Tracker – Track all the common 4-10% yielding dividend stocks in SG
- Free Stock Portfolio Tracking Google Sheets that many love
- Retirement Planning, Financial Independence and Spending down money – My deep dive into how much you need to achieve these, and the different ways you can be financially free
- Providend – Where I currently work doing research. Fee-Only Advisory. No Commissions. Financial Independence Advisers and Retirement Specialists. No charge for the first meeting to understand how it works