We talk during the last Q3 2011 financial results report the concern why Starhub can have a much much lower capital expenditure versus their depreciation. [Analysis here >>]
The worry here is that Starhub is forgoing capital investments so that they can pay out more dividends. However this doesn’t seem to be the case.
We uncover this article that shares how Starhub engaged Nokia Siemens to modernize their network. [Full article here >>]
Essentially, this network upgrade did a lot of good things for Starhub
- Modernize Starhub’s 3G core network and triple the network throughput via Direct Tunnel
- Maintained its leadership position by being the first to implement the 21 Mbps HSPA+ technology in South East Asia.
- Enable subscribers to enjoy a faster and smoother mobile broadband experience.
- Gain network efficiency and up to 30% percent savings in CAPEX and OPEX with Direct Tunnel
- Platform longevity and clear path to LTE
This really addresses my prime worry
Direct Tunnel enables virtually unlimited data throughput capacity in the SGSN. “There is no need to invest substantial amounts of money to build capacity to handle the increased data throughput,“ said Cook.
The bane of telcos in future is with increase data access, it will lead to higher capital expenditure which the telco cannot monetize. This network upgrade goes a long way to address that.
What it means to investors
As an investor, perhaps you worry more about whether free cash flow is able to pay for current 20 cent dividends.
- This upgrade shows that future capital expenditure cost, other than spectrum purchase, is dramatically lower than the past. It may make sense to have a higher depreciation versus new capital expenditure. Starhub is doing its job moving forward with the times.
- With less capital expenditure, free cash flow increases. Starhub can clear its debt and could raise its 20 cent dividends. Already their free cash flow can more than sustain their current 20 cent dividends.
I run a free Singapore Dividend Stock Tracker . It contains Singapore’s top dividend stocks both blue chip and high yield stock that are great for high yield investing. Do follow my Dividend Stock Tracker which is updated nightly here.
- How would you successfully close a prospect who has a better growth of wealth than your recommendation? - September 19, 2021
- Evergrande’s debt issues may result in aftershocks in the high yield bond market. - September 17, 2021
- Moat Market Intel: Age of Bull Market, Years with Shallow Drawdowns and Good Wealth Planning Rules of Thumb - September 15, 2021