The cost of living is high in Singapore as attest by most Singaporeans. So what does some enterprising Singaporeans do?
- They rent out their HDB flats in Singapore for SGD $2000 – $3000. This amount equates to RM $5000 – $6000
- They then rent a 2-3 room condo or apartment in Johor for RM $1000-$1300
- The cost of living is lower in Malaysia and thus this arrangement may result in them having less stress at work or going into semi retirement mode
There are certain considerations as well
- Everyone is waiting for MRT to Iskandar and Johor to be ready. By then this can be even more advantageous
- If you are retired, it is easy for you or your relatives to visit each other
- For workers near the North side and East West, they can commute to work easier
- I wonder for those complaining about taking 1.5 hour to go home would they be able to adjust to this kind of life
- Some Johor folks themselves feel unsafe in their own country. Although I have not heard stories yet, I feel crime will move to areas where there are bountiful opportunities
- You need to live in your HDB flat for at lease 5 years to do that
- Some people might prefer a simpler way of living with not so much hustling daily
- Some might not adjusted to that
Thanks to CK Loh in my Facebook for highlighting this to me.
What do you guys think? Would you favor an arrangement like that? Do you have friends doing that? What would make you transit to this kind of arrangement?
- Singapore Savings Bonds SSB January 2024 Yield Plunges to 3.07% (SBJAN24 GX24010F) - December 1, 2023
- New 6-Month Singapore T-Bill Yield in Early-December 2023 Should be Slightly Higher at 3.85% (for the Singaporean Savers) - November 30, 2023
- Have the World or Emerging Market Healthcare Stocks Outperform the World and EM Index? - November 26, 2023