Recently, I get asked a lot by different people whether it is a good idea whether to dollar cost average (DCA) into Ark Innovation ETF (ARKK).
If not, whether should we invest directly in ARKK or invest via Nikko ARK Disruptive Innovation Fund.
I think Cathie Woods need to take a bow for the great performance that she put up. However, I feel that if you only DCA into her funds, you are taking a bet that this disruptive trend is at the very least very dfferent from in the past and what her ETFs have done is special.
Chances are she will not be the only star active manager that are caught in the middle of media attention.
However, if you are thinking of basing a huge chunk of your portfolio allocation, perhaps you can review this video by Ben Felix:
Ben Felix take us down memory lane and study the original “growth fund managers” in the 1960s Tech Era and a few other examples.
This week, Bill Bernstein, author of a few notable investment books also joined the Morningstar podcast The Long View to discuss a few things.
Bill and the host dug into their memories of past star managers that fall from grace, and one who still does well to this day. Start at 26 min.
I do not know whether Cathie Woods is the next Garrett Van Wagoner or Helen Young Hayes or Will Danoff, but if you are thinking of concentrating due to your confidence in one person/team, take note of this.
You only live one life, and you cannot rewind and shift your decision.
I invested in a diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds (ETF) and stocks listed in the US, Hong Kong and London.
My preferred broker to trade and custodize my investments is Interactive Brokers. Interactive Brokers allow you to trade in the US, UK, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong and many other markets. Options as well. There are no minimum monthly charges, very low forex fees for currency exchange, very low commissions for various markets.
To find out more visit Interactive Brokers today.
Join the Investment Moats Telegram channel here. I will share the materials, research, investment data, deals that I come across that enable me to run Investment Moats.
Do Like Me on Facebook. I share some tidbits that are not on the blog post there often. You can also choose to subscribe to my content via the email below.
I break down my resources according to these topics:
- Building Your Wealth Foundation – If you know and apply these simple financial concepts, your long term wealth should be pretty well managed. Find out what they are
- Active Investing – For active stock investors. My deeper thoughts from my stock investing experience
- Learning about REITs – My Free “Course” on REIT Investing for Beginners and Seasoned Investors
- Dividend Stock Tracker – Track all the common 4-10% yielding dividend stocks in SG
- Free Stock Portfolio Tracking Google Sheets that many love
- Retirement Planning, Financial Independence and Spending down money – My deep dive into how much you need to achieve these, and the different ways you can be financially free
- Providend – Where I currently work doing research. Fee-Only Advisory. No Commissions. Financial Independence Advisers and Retirement Specialists. No charge for the first meeting to understand how it works
- The Dangers of Income Planning with a Fixed Inflation Rate (such as 3% p.a.) - September 25, 2023
- New 6-Month Singapore T-Bill Yield in Late-September 2023 Should Stick to 3.75% (for the Singaporean Savers) - September 21, 2023
- A Concentrated, High-Quality Fixed Income Financial Independence Income Strategy Has Enough Uncertainty - September 20, 2023