This must be an old man problem because I think most people this day and age won’t have this issue.
I am just not sure whether you guys and gals have so much things to store locally nowadays.
I remember during my time, I have seen:
- 5 and 1/4 inch diskette
- 3.5 inch diskette
- magnetic hard disk
- IOMEGA disk
- mini disc
- CF card, SD card, memory stick and their variants
- CD and then DVD
- Cassette Tape
- Video Tape
And perhaps this generation, they do not have much things to store. In this age, we use storage as a service. So there are not much use cases to store backup or large amount of data.
We rely on syncing service such as Google Drive, Dropbox or Box.com.
For the entertainment there are Netflix, Spotify such that you do not need to download so much entertainment.
For some reason, I do still have some data to store. Not a lot but you got to back up some stuff in case Dropbox’s decentralized storage farm burns down.
That should not happen.
How I accidentally formatted a Working Partition
Dropbox have saved me in the past.
There was once when I had a brain fart, and accidentally format a used partition. (This is why I hate making a computer dual boot into two OS).
In fact, in my life, I have a lot of these brain farts, such as running straight into a wall thinking I was short enough to go below it (and ending up with stitches, causing my future army colleague to sign extras for it)
Thankfully, most of the stuff that I need to work on are stored in Dropbox.
So to regain back to a working state,
- Reinstall the Windows operating system
- Reinstall Dropbox
- Re-syncing takes place
These storage solutions such as this is helpful
- To sync a few device so that you are working on a shared copy
- As a form of backup to a server
- Usually allow you to restore a previous version of the same file
- Access the files from many location
- Prevent you from losing your data when your whole office gets burned down
These data sync solutions are not good if
- Your PC get some ransom ware, encrypting my whole hard disk, unless you pay them some ransom
- Particular segment of the local hard disk to be corrupted. The we end up syncing corrupted files (in truth you may be able to recover a previous version with a sync solution. But how many files are corrupted? You would take a long time to search through them)
The old fashion man believes that a once per quarter backup of these data would be good
- Identify what are the data you cannot lose. Identify which are the folders
- Every quarter either manually copy them over or use a folder syncing application that is available for free out there (there are a few) and sync them to a portable hard disk
For some reasons, I have slowly accumulate a few of these 2.5 inch hard disks. These are the hard disk used in laptops and also most portfolio hard disk.
I like them better than the desktop 3.5 inch hard disk because those 3.5 inch are bulk, and they require another external power source.
These 2.5 inch
- Are persistent
USB 3.0 to Sata Adapter Converter Cable
For most people, they would need to find a portable hard disk case for each of these hard disk.
My problem with those portable hard disk enclosure casing is that, in order for me to connect 4 to 5 hard disk to the computer temporarily, I need to buy 4 to 5 casing.
And the circuit or the cable to those cheaper casing is so flimsy.
Even those hard disk casings that come with portable hard disk tend to get into trouble quite fast.
My solution is to purchase a USB to Sata Adapter Converter Cable
The hard disk it self is rather sturdy, unless you subject it to water. So this cable can be short or long, you just connect to the one you need to use, and it will work.
Get it from AliExpress
The nice thing about AliExpress, which is a Expensive Custom Shop by Alibaba is that the payments are very seamless.
You can use a Singapore credit card and payment will go through seamlessly.
The shipping takes some time, so normally it is not so good if you need something immediately.
I treat it as a surprise for the day when I received it at home.
And for items that are small, AliExpress tends to be good because:
- There are a lot of small stuff that you don’t know you need but for some situation you realize you need them
- They tend to be slightly cheaper if you buy them in Singapore
So I got this for around SG$4 bucks including shipping. And it worked better than a lot of the casing I bought in Singapore because they stopped working a lot!
This is the one that I went for.
Like I said, probably an old man’s need, younger folks might have a better suggestion.
Do let me know.
I will probably share some of my little cheap purchases here once in a while.
Do Like Me on Facebook. I share some tidbits that is not on the blog post there often. You can also choose to subscribe to my content via email below.
Here are My Topical Resources on:
- Building Your Wealth Foundation – If you know and apply these simple financial concepts, your long term wealth should be pretty well managed. Find out what they are
- Active Investing – For the active stock investors. My deeper thoughts from my stock investing experience
- Learning about REITs – My Free “Course” on REIT Investing for Beginners and Seasoned Investors
- Dividend Stock Tracker – Track all the common 4-10% yielding dividend stocks in SG
- Free Stock Portfolio Tracking Google Sheets that many love
- Retirement Planning, Financial Independence and Spending down money – My deep dive into how much you need to achieve these, and the different ways you can be financially free