Update October 2022: If you are still reading this, we are still looking for quality individuals to join us as associate advisers.
The client advisory team at fee-only wealth advisory firm Providend is divided into two levels:
- The client advisers listen to prospects’ needs and work out financial plans and recommendations for them. The client adviser serves the existing clients that they manage on a day-to-day basis.
- The associate advisers are groomed to be client advisers eventually. Over 2 to 3 years, the associates will learn the nuts and bolts of wealth advisory by supporting the client advisers team.
This will be a full-time position.
You will learn from the ground up:
- How to organize prospects’ and client’s financial details in our financial planning process
- Sort through and make sense of the existing insurance policies that prospects bring in
- Build up or strengthen your investment fundamentals, and learn our investment philosophy
- Build up or strengthen the technical aspects of comprehensive financial planning
- Learn the way to listen, coach, engage and present to prospects and clients
Most importantly, you will soak into Providend’s unique DNA of doing what is suitable for the clients by becoming their trusted and most competent adviser.
We look for people with the following attributes to join us:
- Driven and motivated to do the right things in life
- Have a keen interest in the personal wealth advisory
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Love a dynamic work environment where you can grow and develop
- Bonus: Skill to persuade and convince people (after all, eventually, this will be a sales role)
- Bonus: A real hunger to decipher what works and doesn’t work in the investment & wealth management world.
You will eventually be working with high-net-worth clients who wish to steward their family wealth soundly with your help.
The Associate Advisers That Joined Us on the Programme
Over the last 3.5 years, we have had individuals from all walks of life join us. Some of them are still with us, helping our client advisers daily, and we hope that eventually, all of them will be full-fledged advisers, serving and helping clients reach their financial goals.
You don’t need a CFP, CFA, or AWP to join us. A degree is not an essential criterion either. We are looking for gritty, conscientious individuals with a solid moral compass and affinity towards wealth and money.
Your attitude towards life should lean closer to being of service to others.
A large part of the associate advisers’ daily work involves processing the meeting notes after listening to the client’s wishes, sorting out & computing the first cut of the client’s financials, and preparing the financial reports for the client’s annual review.
To do this work well, grit and conscientiousness are needed to ensure things are done correctly.
Here are some of the people that are currently in the program:
- A seasoned financial adviser who used to work in a tied-agency and independent financial advisory firm decided to join us to learn how to work with and serve the higher net worth
- A civil servant working in a public agency who could have a very decent career in civil service but decided to listen to his heart to search for a more fulfilling career where he can make a significant impact on people’s lives
- A general manager in his own family business who decided to strike it out on his own by going into a domain where he can marry his natural affinity towards finance with his years of experience working with people
- A bank relationship manager who felt trapped because she could not recommend products that truly benefit her clients and allow her to feel good about being of service to people
- A truth-seeking, people person with research and evidence-based investment philosophy, who used to work as a bank analyst and as a bank relationship manager who is keener to evangelise the right life plan for his clients than just hitting KPI targets for who he works for.
- A curious, practical communications lecturer who wishes to make a more significant financial impact on her family and client’s life.
Some of you may be in another profession but felt the lure of being a client adviser. Or you may have hopped a few times in your industry but are struggling to identify yourself.
One of our associate advisers, Annette, wrote about a couple of her struggles with where she was at and the framework that helped her take a step back, re-evaluate her life and seek out an ideal career or domain for her to venture into.
You can read I Hate My Job but Don’t Know What to Do Next >>
Bryan, who is one of our earliest associate advisers (and my lunch buddy), elaborated a little about his life and the work that he did at Providend in this vid:
At the tail end of 2021, he graduated from the programme to become a full-fledged client adviser.
If you want to join us, you are welcome to submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. More details about the roles can be found here.
Here is our CEO’s story:
I invested in a diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds (ETF) and stocks listed in the US, Hong Kong and London.
My preferred broker to trade and custodize my investments is Interactive Brokers. Interactive Brokers allow you to trade in the US, UK, Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong and many other markets. Options as well. There are no minimum monthly charges, very low forex fees for currency exchange, very low commissions for various markets.
To find out more visit Interactive Brokers today.
Join the Investment Moats Telegram channel here. I will share the materials, research, investment data, deals that I come across that enable me to run Investment Moats.
Do Like Me on Facebook. I share some tidbits that are not on the blog post there often. You can also choose to subscribe to my content via the email below.
I break down my resources according to these topics:
- Building Your Wealth Foundation – If you know and apply these simple financial concepts, your long term wealth should be pretty well managed. Find out what they are
- Active Investing – For active stock investors. My deeper thoughts from my stock investing experience
- Learning about REITs – My Free “Course” on REIT Investing for Beginners and Seasoned Investors
- Dividend Stock Tracker – Track all the common 4-10% yielding dividend stocks in SG
- Free Stock Portfolio Tracking Google Sheets that many love
- Retirement Planning, Financial Independence and Spending down money – My deep dive into how much you need to achieve these, and the different ways you can be financially free
- Providend – Where I currently work doing research. Fee-Only Advisory. No Commissions. Financial Independence Advisers and Retirement Specialists. No charge for the first meeting to understand how it works
Friday 4th of November 2022
I applied for the position, would like to find out if you will have an idea of the estimated turnaround time to be shortlisted for a physical interview? In a way, I will know if I have been dropped?
Thank you! Regards.
Saturday 5th of November 2022
Hi SJ, thanks for applying. I think if there is a shortlist for something, you should receive some sort of response from them. If you have sent in and by now, you have not heard back, most likely the person is not short listed.
Wednesday 12th of October 2022
Wow! If you still havent been able to hire in a field which traditionally Singaporeans are very strong, (finance is the most preferred field in Singapore right?) this just means the labour market is very tight and everyone who wants a job and is qualified enough has a job already.
Monday 21st of March 2022
I'm interested in making a career switch into this industry, particularly with Providend, in ~15-20 years' time. Is it recommended to take up courses like CFP prior to that? What do you think I should do?
Tuesday 21st of September 2021
Hi! Are there any opportunities for undergrads? The advisory that Providend does for its clients is very aligned with my own values and I would really love to play a part in helping people to make good financial decisions
Wednesday 22nd of September 2021
@Kyith, Yep an internship, but I am open to any opportunities that might be available.
Tuesday 21st of September 2021
Hi Lionel, are you looking for an internship?
Sunday 21st of February 2021
Would there be any trading restrictions / trading declarations required for such a position? Interested, but am in a different industry..
Sunday 21st of February 2021
Hi JD, all license representatives will need to declare their holdings in a MAS form 12. However, there are no trading restrictions.