My last pc upgrade or if you would want to call it that was my MSI Wind. Looking back, spending SGD854 on it is abit of an overvalued buy.
It didn’t work so well and although it serve the objective of a portable netbook that you can bring it wherever you wanna go it doesn’t do alot of heavy work.
My desktop PC have been with me for 3-4 years. Its a so call free desktop Pentium 4 HT that i got as part of signing up for a Starhub deal. It serves what I need to do which is:
- Little Gaming
- Web Surfing
- Social Interaction with Friends
- Programming and Design
Its greatest flaw i realise is in the power consumption. Comparing the pentium 4 to what we had today with multi-core processor it definitely is weak. But i have never thought that today’s more powerful processor pc actually consume less power!
It turns out that the Pentium 4 CPU i have been using is one of the worst designs that Intel US engineers have came up with and if not for their Isreal or India’s designer’s great multi-core product they would have lag badly against AMD.
This old build actually consumes on average 138 Watt of electricity. And it is likely the CPU itself takes up like 100 Watt!
The Rig that I built for myself is as follows:
- AMD Athlon 2 X3 2.9 GHz w BioStar Budget mainboard – SGD233. The good thing about this X3 425 triple core is that it is suppose to consume less power (45 Watt). Since you see the things i normally use it for, I think having 3 cores is a mass overkill.
- 2GB of RAM – SGD80. Ram prices are up. I just buy what i need.
- 500GB Hard drive – SGD74. Alot of you guys would say i should go for 1 Terabyte. That would cost more than 100 which is not what i am aiming for.
- Silverstone MATX Chasis – SGD109. Abit of an expensive buy for a budget PC but this MATX is really sleek and I want an MATX cause i never had one and want to try it so that i can put it on my desk and it wont look out of place
- Vantag ION2 460 Watt Power supply – Old. I decide to reuse this one. I research up abit and i think i chosen a relatively ok power supply which should enable this rig to function well.
A total of SGD496 was spent on this one. Configuration and installation was a pain but finally i got to see the end result.
Its definitely faster than my netbook. And on normal web surfing my Average Power Utilization was 60 WATT with CPU Temperature around 34 degrees.
When watching movie, it gets jack up 5 Watt. But i like it. Definitely good to cut power consumption by half.
- New 6-Month Singapore T-Bill Yield in Early-December 2023 Should be Slightly Higher at 3.85% (for the Singaporean Savers) - November 30, 2023
- Have the World or Emerging Market Healthcare Stocks Outperform the World and EM Index? - November 26, 2023
- Retirement Spending Can Vary from 25% to 100%. Not your usual 2% to 3% a Year. - November 23, 2023