One phrase bandied around more than others in the investment world is Margin of Safety. It probably means having a high confidence of assuredness in not losing money.
And it is something a lot of investors say as long as the stock price can fall a lot and my buy price is far below the current price, I have margin of safety.
Today probably we are not going to talk about active investing, so perhaps lets make that as some soul searching whether the above explanation is margin of safety.
We came across an article that perhaps well articulates how this phrase can be used to describe assuredness in living ones life.
[Farnam Street | Margin of Safety]
Not many can give an analogy that makes understanding the concept simple but the author was able to. It might help you guys in the soul searching above.
The author highlights how we can build margin of safety into the way we use our money in daily lives.
The year is drawing to a close, and talking to friends makes me realize that most of them have built in adequate short circuit mechanisms in their financial management.
It bears remembering what the author raised as the three margin of safety
- Level 1 margin: Adequate Emergency Liquidity of 12 months salary
- Level 2 margin: If you earn $8k/mth as a household, spend $4k/mth
- Level 3 margin: Enhanced savings gets funnel to wealth building
News articles seem to indicate that such circuit breakers are not popular and the fundamental reasoning that properties will always work out well in this country. Not to worry. Seems unlike the people, the government built so much margin of safety to the detriment of the people sometimes.
Hope you enjoy the article.
- Should You Retire at 30 Years Old with $1 Million or Retire at 40 Years Old with $10 Million (As a Singaporean)? - January 29, 2023
- New 6-Month Singapore T-Bill in Early-February 2023 Be Lower, Ranging between a Yield of 3.8% to(for the Singaporean Savers) - January 26, 2023
- The Annoying Thing About Potential Frauds in the News. - January 24, 2023